Having two small model-predictive controllers (MPCs) available as a standard option in a distributed control system (DCS) shows much better performance than the previous PID for product pH and assay control, reducing off-spec product and raw material use. The MPC effectively deals with a recycle stream and a level override scheme that can change production rates and different product formulations by automatically switching in and out an MPC for each product.
Search this Blog
Find Posts by Category
ISA’s Live Twitter Stream
- Energy in Fluid Mechanics: How to Ensure Physical Line and Operating Data Are Consistent
- How Standards and New Technology Enable Humans and Robots to Work Safely Together
- AutoQuiz: What Should an Engineer Include in a Final Automation Project Report to Senior Management?
- How to Select a Platform to Implement a Batch Automation Solution
- Industry 4.0 Concepts for Discrete Manufacturing Applied to Process Automation
- AutoQuiz: What Is the Purpose of an Instrument Location Plan?
- The Positive Impact of the 2019 ISA Annual Leadership Conference
- Drones in Industrial Automation: Vital Mobile Platforms for Sensor Delivery
- How to Solve the Biggest Maintenance Challenges in the Oil & Gas Industry
- AutoQuiz: What Is the Significance of the Fieldbus Intrinsic Safety Concept?