This automation industry quiz question comes from the ISA Certified Control Systems Technician (CCST) program. Certified Control System Technicians calibrate, document, troubleshoot, and repair/replace instrumentation for systems that measure and control level, temperature, pressure, flow, and other process variables. Click this link for more information about the CCST program.
In logical analysis troubleshooting, which step comes immediately after the first step: “Identify and define the problem”?
a) implement a solution or conduct a test
b) if the problem is not resolved, reiterate until the problem is found and resolved
c) gather information about the problem
d) evaluate the information/data
e) none of the above
Click Here to Reveal the Answer
The logical analysis troubleshooting method consists of (in order):
1. Identify and define the problem.
2. Gather information about the problem.
3. Evaluate the information/data.
4. Propose a solution or develop a test.
5. Implement the solution or conduct the test.
6. Evaluate the results of the solution or test.
7. If the problem is not resolved, reiterate until the problem is found and resolved.
8. If the problem is resolved: document, store/file, and send to the appropriate department for follow up if required.
The correct answer is C, “Gather information about the problem.” Once a problem is identified, data must be gathered and analyzed to determine a viable set of potential actions and solutions.
Reference: Goettsche, L.D. (Editor), Maintenance of Instruments and Systems, 2nd Edition